#170 ✓invalid
richardsd

arrays not un/serialized correctly

Reported by richardsd | March 4th, 2010 @ 11:24 PM

This is one of those problems where it's hard to reproduce because most of the time things work correctly.

I am using aaf 0.4.3. I can reproduce this problem whether I use the drb server or not. :)

Up to now, in addition to search, I have been using ferret indices as a cache for my activerecord objects since I didn't want to have an extra service to manage. This works fine except when I start to run big jobs.

I've noticed that single element arrays come back not as an array but as a string. eg instead of ["cat"], I am getting "cat".

I don't know if this is an aaf or ferret bug and perhaps ferret was never intended to act as a DB cache but I thought I would file the bug for posterity. As a search engine ferret is wonderful and it would seem that if one could store fields the indices could effectively be used as a cache. I've benchmarked and even though I don't get any speed improvement I like the fact that I could offload reads from my DB.

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • Jens

    Jens September 14th, 2010 @ 06:13 PM

    • State changed from “new” to “invalid”
    • Milestone order changed from “0” to “0”

    Sorry, I don't intend to support using aaf/ferret as a cache... However you could implement your own serialization by converting the array to text before storing it in the index, and then converting it back when needed. I don't think such functionality should be part of aaf.

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket

Pages